Value of Lake Street Council Partnership
As a nonprofit organization, the Lake Street Council’s goal is to engage, serve, and advocate for Lake Street corridor businesses, organizations, and property owners.
Since 1968, we have worked to build an organization that serves the needs of Lake Street’s unique and diverse community. We do this through programs that support entrepreneurs, beautify our buildings and streetscape, and engage businesses and executives in policy initiatives.
We strive to represent the interests of all types of businesses, organizations, and property owners. From small shops to major employers and nonprofits, we believe working together is the best way to achieve a successful, thriving commercial community.
This past year was an exciting one for Lake Street and the Lake Street Council. We:
- Welcomed over 50 new businesses to the Lake Street area
- Helped 165 businesses go green, saving money while improving sustainability
- Launched a new mobile-friendly Visit Lake Street website
- Helped mitigate the impact of reconstruction along Minnehaha Ave through shop local events
- Improved safety outcomes by securing beat cops, targeted lighting, and street outreach teams
- Saw the start of construction on the new Hennepin County Service Center at Lake Street and Hiawatha Avenue.
We are also looking forward to a successful 2017. In the upcoming year, we will:
- Celebrate - and stand up for - Lake Street’s diverse entrepreneurs
- Ensure that our community’s voices are heard during minimum wage discussions at City Hall
- Continue to offer grants for storefront improvement projects
- Continue to advocate for improvements to our public transit and biking infrastructure
- Reach new audiences by marketing Lake Street’s unique shops, services, restaurants, and events